Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 14: Nanjing Road

            Work today was really great, probably because we get out at 4 on Wednesdays and it’s easier to work hard for 7 hours instead of for 8 and a half.  I spent some time reading up on Vietnam as an emerging market and then looking at companies who have invested some of their funds into that market.  So it was basically the average day, until a woman named Josie came into our room and asked if she could talk to me.  Apparently the company somehow got word that I play the piano (Evan said he put a sign on my forehead this morning announcing it) and they wanted to know if I could accompany a violinist at some Chinese competition.  I was happy they asked and the office even has a piano that now I know about. 
            After work I headed out to Nanjing Road to meet up with Helena, a girl I met last week at the Shanghai branch of the LDS church and do a little bit of shopping.  Nanjing Road is one of the best shopping places in Shanghai and a major tourist attraction so it was fun to check it out.  We also went over to the Bund, the area along the river, and strolled for a while.  The buildings on the Bund are GORGEOUS at night with the way they’re lit up.  Even though the haze was really bad, it was really pretty and the view across the river (looking at the skyline that includes the building where I work) was also awesome.
            Probably the funniest part of the night was all the Chinese people staring at us and sneaking pictures of us (although this was a little creepy).  We’d be standing somewhere, near a bench or something, and these tourist-looking people with cameras would try to sneak pictures of us.  Sort of awkward.  Then as I was standing in one of the more open areas, a lady holding the cutest little boy, maybe 18 months, came up to me and started showing me her little boy.  I was sort of confused, but kind of started playing with him.  Meanwhile, the lady’s husband ran over to the other side with his camera and started taking pictures of me with the little boy (and so did Helena, it was just too funny).  I’ve heard from some people that this kind of thing happens, but I didn’t really think it would.  Anyway, it was kind of fun and pretty memorable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment