Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 64: The Crazy Things Going on in Shanghai This Weekend

1. Seeing my uncle sitting in front of me in the Shanghai branch of the LDS church. That was a serious trip, but so great to see a familiar (literally) face. You just don’t expect to see your uncle in your branch in Shanghai, that’s just common knowledge.

2. Making dumplings and spring rolls with my wonderful friend Chenru and her family!! I feel like it was a very significant moment in my Chinese cultural experience. I also learned how to make sweet and sour pork and an egg and tomato dish that is pretty popular in China.

3. Meeting up for dinner with one of my new roommates for next year, Yang yang. We had a great time and I am quite excited for our trips to Chinatown in Seattle this year.

4. Fourth (but not final) trip to the Shanghai Science and Technology fake market. I’m not really sure why I love this place so much but I do. Of course, I bought plenty of things I didn’t need and got totally ripped off but I still find it very entertaining. I also bought a new large suitcase there that was much needed to get all my souvenirs home. Friday evening will be spent playing a game of real life tetris as I try to make everything fit.

5. Picking up my last load of laundry from Aping Washclothes. Though they overcharge me, I love them. Pretty much anything is better than doing laundry in my sink with no laundry detergent. Also- the little kids (presumably the children of Aping) there were watching Dora the Explorer. I sang “I’m the Map” in English while it was playing in Chinese, which I thought was hilarious, but I think the kids were just freaked out.

6. Running out of Herbal Essences conditioner. This may seem very insignificant, but trust me, this is a very big deal. Herbal Essences has kept me sane here in Asia and I think we make a pretty good team. I think this is a sign that I’ve been in China long enough.

7. And of course, realizing that I can now count the days until I’m home on one hand!! As much as I love China, I’m excited to go home and see my family (and Mr. Conditioner).

No comments:

Post a Comment