Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 45 Low-key Saturday/Happy Pioneer Day!

Today I was not feeling quite as adventurous as I have past Saturdays, but still had a great day. After breakfast, liang ge bao zi (2 of the Chinese steamed buns filled with surprises) eaten at my favorite Dongchang Riverside Garden, I headed to the Shanghai Science and Technology Museum. It’s true that this museum is aimed towards kids, especially expat kids, but I was still interested in seeing it. Unfortunately, the lines were RIDICULOUS. Like, every awful thing you’ve ever heard about Chinese people having a hard time with lines was true. Talk about a nightmare, so I bagged that idea and instead walked over to the fake market that’s right next to it.

It was a good thing I went shopping, of course, because how could I live without all the wonderful things I found there? Pretty easily, actually. And those wonderful things I found might actually cause me some trouble in 28 days when it’s time to pack my suitcases. But it’s China, and who knows when I’ll be back and how long this stuff will all be here, so why not.

Next door to the fake market is the Yada Pearl Market, probably my favorite shopping place in Shanghai. I just love it! So I had some fun there and made friends with some of the cute girls who work there.

And today was the first time I used my new Subway card! Previously I’ve been buying tickets every time, but that got pretty old so now I’m really cool and have my official little pass. It’s pretty awesome actually, because all you have to do is pull out your wallet and put it next to the entry gate- it magically reads the card. Talk about awesome. It was the icing on my Shanghai residency cake.

And Happy Pioneer Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment